It’s that time of year again – school is back in session. For all you procrastinators out there (you’re in good company), that means rushing to Target and the malls for school clothes and supplies that are sold out, signing a million forms that your student will bring home tonight, and slowing down for the school zones again. Some of us will start changing our route to work altogether to avoid the never ending lines of cars dropping off excited little darlings for another day of education.
A few tips for parents:
· Know your child’s teacher, and be in constant contact. Remember that you are on the same team, and you have a common goal. If your kid sees you and the teacher working together, you’ll have less problems with discipline and grades tend to be better.
· Know your way around the school. It will help when you have to go to volunteer or knowing where your child’s locker is.
· That brings me to my next point: volunteer! Help out whenever you can, even if it’s just sending snacks with your kid for the classroom party. Every little bit counts, and it makes your child feel special.
· Join the PTA.
· Actually go to the PTA meetings. Get involved. If you really want to make a difference in your child’s education, you can’t do it from the sidelines.
· Get to know the administration. Heaven forbid, if your child ever gets in trouble, it could help that you went golfing with the vice-principal last weekend.
If you need to get in touch with your child’s school, here’s a quick neighborhood directory:Travis Elementary 713-802-4790 www.traviselementary.org Field Elementary 713-867-5190 www.es.houstonisd.org/fieldes/ Harvard Elementary 713-867-5210 www.harvardschool.org Love Elementary 713-867-0840 www.es.houstonisd.org/lovees/ Hamilton Middle School 713-802-4725 www.schools.houstonisd.org/domain/8377 Hogg Middle School 713-802-4700 www.schools.houstonisd.org/hogg Reagan High School 713-861-5694 www.jhreagan.org
Have a great 2012-2013 school year!
For more information, please visit: www.houstonisd.org